1923 to End
Built: 1923 by R & W Hawthorn Leslie & Co Ltd, Hebburn.
Tonnage: 10, 000g, 6, 154n, 9, 416 dwt.
Engine: Single Screw, Quadruple Expansion, 5, 000 IHP, 900 NHP, 12 Knots, 14.39 Knots (Trials).
Passengers: 60 First Class, 74 Second Class, 3, 136 Deck, 220 Crew.
Launched 14th June 1923, Completed 13th September 1923. Yard No 529.
Talma is a village in Faridpur District, East Bengal.
It was said of Talma and her sister Tilwa that they looked terrible from any angle except dead ahead. In the October of 1923 she entered service for Apcar to Japan, Calcutta - Rangoon - Penang - Singapore - Hong Kong - Amoy - Shanghai - Moji - Kobe. She had two fires whilst in service, both were in No 3 hold and on both occasions the fires had to be extinguished by flooding the holds. The first was on arriving at Singapore on the 12th February 1924 the second whilst at Hong Kong on the 26th March 1925. On the 17th of August she was one of several passenger liners blown ashore at Junk Bay in Honk Kong and her departure was delayed whilst repairs to her sternpost could be facilitated. She was requisitioned as a Personnel Carrier from December 1939 until October 1947 and fortunately had an uneventful War. She returned to service on the Australian - Calcutta route until the arrival of the new 'C' Class ships after which she was sold for scrap to Bisco on the 12th of April 1949. She was towed by the tug Twyford and arrived at Inverkeithing on the 29th May, breaking began by T.E. Ward on the 15th June.
Built: Barcley Curle and Co. Ltd., Glasgow.
Tonnage 7, 934g 3, 750n 8, 250dwt
Engines Twin-screw 4 Cylinder (2 L.P.), Triple Expansion, 7, 700 IHP. 17.32 Knots (Trials), 16 Knots.
Passengers 56 First Class, 80 Second Class and 3, 262 Deck, 175 Crew
Launched 6th March 1924. Completed on 5th May 1924. Yard No. 595
Tairea as Hospital Ship No. 35 at Port Tewfik in 1942.
Tairea is a village in Uttar Pradesh, also two towns in Japan, one on the island of Honshu.
Tairea was the first ship built of a three build program, when her other two sisters joined her they commenced on the three times a month sailing to Japan on the Apcar Service. At the commence of the Sino-Japanese war she transferred in June of 1932 to the Bombay east African run with her sister Takliwa. She remained on that route until she became a Personnel Ship in the November of 1939 and in April of 1940 she entered the Liner Division. She was converted at the British India workshops in Bombay into Hospital ship No. 35 with 506 beds and 120 Medical Staff. She used her lifeboats to recover the wounded from the campaign at Kismayu, Somaliland in 1940. In 1942 she served at Madagascar, Alexandria and Smyrna. In July of 1943 she attended the landings at Sicily and in the September was at Salerno, she returned to Sicily to pick up the inshore survivors of her sister ship Talamba. In 1945 she was used to repatriate Prisoners of war from Hong Kong to India. She was the only ship of her class to return to British India and first saw service on the Bombay- Durban route in 1946. In 1949 she reverted to her original Apcar route Calcutta to Japan and remained there until she was withdrawn from service and made her one trip back to the UK for scrapping. On the 1st April 1952 she was sold to the British Iron and Steel Corporation and was broken by Hughes Bolckow Shipbreaking Co Ltd at Blyth. Her bell was donated to the Gurkha Rifles for installation at their Headquarters at Barrackpore.
Built: 1924 by Barclay, Curle & Co Ltd, Glasgow.
Tonnage: 7, 936g, 3, 742n, 8, 060 dwt.
Engines: Twin Screw, Triple Expansion, 4 Cylinder Two L.P. Cylinders, 7, 700 I.H.P., 16 Knots by Builder.
Passengers: 56 1st Class, 80 2nd Class, 3, 262 Deck, 175 Crew.
Launched 19th May 1924, Completed 18th July 1924, Yard No. 601.
Takliwa is possibly of Japanese origin.
Built for the Calcutta - Japan service. When loading cargo for her second trip to the Far East she suffered a fire in No 1 hold on the 30th October 1924 and ran aground at the entrance to Tokyo bay on the 9th December same voyage. She carried troops from Calcutta to Shanghai in January of 1927 during the 'Troubles' in China. Between 1933 - 1939 she served on the East Africa - India service. She was requisitioned first for the Munich Crisis in 1939 and then for the Liner Division in April of 1940 seeing service at the evacuation of Singapore in January of 1942 and the Allied landings at Madagascar, Sicily and the Dodencanese Islands. When on passage from Hong Kong to Madras carrying 800 ex-Indian P.O.W.'s she ran aground on Cap Nicobar, South Nicobar Island in the Bay of Bengal on the 15th of October 1945. A fire broke out in the stokehold an hour after grounding and Takliwa subsequently burnt out. Fortunately all the crew and passengers were safely taken off by H. M. S. Sainfoin and a short while later Takliwa's back was broken and was deemed a total loss.
Built: 1924 by R & K Hawthorn, Leslie & Co Ltd, Hebburn.
Tonnage: 8, 018g, 3, 844n, 8, 100 dwt.
Engine: Twin Screw 2 x 2 Cylinder Triple Expansion (2.L.P.) 7, 700 IHP. 16 Knots, 17.35 (trials)
Passengers: 56 First Class, 80 Second Class, 3262 Deck, Crew 175.
Launched on the 16th July 1924, completed 2nd October 1924. Yard Nos. 533.
Talamba arriving at Alexandra. 24th April 1943.
Talamba is a town near Multan, Pakistan.
Talamba was the last ship of a three class build but was amongst the first ships to be registered in London as opposed to Glasgow. The only ships in British India to have three funnels the third funnel being a dummy, built to impress the clientele of the Company and in this they were an absolute success. Outwardly Talamba could be distinguished from her sisters by the positioning of her lifeboats, they looked a deck lower but in fact this was because she was fitted with old style radial davits. She was initially delivered to serve on the Calcutta- Japan Apcar service. She had to be assisted by HMS Carlisle when Chinese deportees attempted to overwhelm the Bridge whilst en route from Singapore in 1926. On the 2nd September 1937 she was one of twenty-seven ships which went aground on Lye Mun during a typhoon at Hong Kong. In 1939 she trooped India-UK before joining the Liner Division in the July of the same year. In 1941 she was converted to hospital ship No. 43, having 485 beds and 110 medical staff. On the 15th of January 1941 she aided at the evacuation of Singapore then was based in Colombo and the Eastern Mediterranean. She assisted in the picking up of survivors from Repulse and Prince of Wales after they had been sunk by Japanese air attacks she was in the company of Tenedos and Express all of whom were not attacked whilst picking up the R. N. personnel. Whilst under the colours of a hospital ship she was attacked twice by a German bomber when embarking wounded from the Sicily landings. Holed by way of number four hold Talamba began to sink but not before all the wounded had been evacuated by other ships one of which was her sister Tairea. In all five Engine Room crew died in the attack according to Duncan Haws and Laxon and Perry, however in Valiant Voyaging the loss was four who were a Butler, Half General Servant, a Lascar and a Topass.
Built: 1926 by R & W, Hawthorn, Leslie & Co. Ltd, Hebburn..
Tonnage: 8, 602g, 4, 759n, 9, 400 dwt.
Engines: Twin Screw, 2 x 4 Cylinder Quadruple Expansion 5, 000 I.H.P. 14.3 knots
Passengers: 281 First Class, 33 Second Class, 100 Third Class, 5, 064 Deck Passengers (reduced later to 3, 851), Crew 195.
Launched 24th August 1926, completed 5th November 1926. Yard No. 542.
Rohna is a village in Sonipat District, Punjab.
The Rohna and her sister Rajula were purpose built ships to replace the aging 'T' Class ships on the Madras-Nagapatam-Singapore Service. On her arrival in India instead of taking up the run as intended she found herself carrying reinforcements to Shanghai and it wasn't until June 1927 that she was able to take up her scheduled service. Just five months later whilst at anchor in Madras Harbour a cyclone blew up breaking the chain of one of her two anchors which had been dropped. After attaching a buoy to the remaining chain Captain Carr'e slipped anchor and sailed full steam out of the harbour into the storm, without this prompt action by Officers and Crew undoubtedly the ship would have foundered.
Both the Rohna and Rajula were certified to carry in excess of five thousand Deck passengers hence double banked lifeboats, this number of passengers was reduced with the introduction of the Simla Rules in the mid- 1930s to some 3,851, still higher than any other British registered ship. Besides being fitted with early examples of mechanical ventilation both ships were fitted with lifts for Engineers, previously unheard of, significant to note is that in the light of events in the seventies and eighties all Engineers in certain Companies are now forbidden to use lifts.
Rohna first began her role as a personnel carrier as early as July 1939 but wasn't requisitioned on a permanent basis until May 1940. In 1941 Rohna saw service in the Far East and was present for the evacuation of Singapore. On the 27th January 1942 she sailed carrying refugees, mainly Indian women and children, whilst the island was under continuous air attack. Later in 1942/43 Rohna transferred to the Mediterranean and was in the same convoy when another British India ship, Erinpura which was the command vessel of the twenty three Merchantmen with escort of eleven warships, was sank on the 1st May 1943, two other British India ships in the convoy were Karoa and the Egra.
In July of 1943 she was present at the Allied Landings in Sicily and later became a Naval Depot ship in Algiers. From Algiers she sailed to Casablanca to embark American Pioneer Troops for harbour clearance duties in Italy. After disembarking the troops at Naples she set sail once again to Oran in Algeria.
Rohna in Wartime Livery
After loading 2, 000 American Troops she sailed bound for Bombay on the 25th November in convoy number KMF 26, the following day approximately thirty German aircraft attacked the convoy and with no success returned to their base. About an hour later a single plane arrived on the scene and let loose what appeared to be a small plane but was in fact a radio controlled guided missile (type HS 293), the bomb approximately the same size as a fighter aircraft overtook the bomber, turned and dived towards the convoy. The missile struck the Rohna on the portside 15ft above the waterline at the after end of the Engine Room and No. 6 Troop deck. After the explosion which completely destroyed the Engine Room, the ship was engulfed by flames from funnel to stern, the ship was obviously sinking so Captain Murphy gave the order to abandon ship. None of the lifeboats on the portside could be lowered because the ship's side plates had been forced outwards by the explosion making it impossible for them to traverse the bomb made ledge. Some of the lifeboats on the starboard side were lowered but were soon swamped by hundreds of troops floundering round in the water, during the next three quarters of an hour everything that could float was thrown over the side. Captain Murphy was joined on the Bridge by some of his Officers and three American soldiers who said that they couldn't swim, fifteen minutes later the ship sank stern first. It would appear that those assembled on the Bridge were swept off and all but one American soldier made for an upturned lifeboat. Later Captain Murphy paid tribute to the discipline, loyalty and devotion to duty of his Officers and crew, also to the excellent conduct of the American troops who found themselves in the sea. Of 2, 195 persons onboard, 1, 170 perished.
Built: 1926 by Barcley Curle and Co. Ltd., Glasgow.
Tonnage: 8, 478g 4, 702n 9, 420dwt
Engines: Twin-screw 2 x 4 Cylinder Triple Expansion, 5, 200 IHP. 15.35 Knots (Trials)
Passengers: 30 First Class, 30 Second Class, 92 Third Class and 5, 113 Deck later reduced to 3, 622.
Launched 22nd September 1926. Completed on 26th November 1926. Yard No. 614
Kindly provided by David Milligan. From BI News.
Rajula is a small town near the Southeast coast of the Kathiawar Peninsula, Gujarat, North of Bombay. Dwarka is in the same state.
Sister to Rohna and built for the same run Madras-Nagapatam-Singapore, the only difference between the two ships was in the Engine Room, the Rajula had slightly more powerful engines, triple expansion as opposed to Quadruple though both ships maintained a steady twelve knots service speed. In 1928 the Rajula actually recorded carrying the maximum deck passengers permissible at the time, some 5, 113 looking at photographs of the ship it really is hard to believe, one can only assume that they stood up all the way from Singapore to Madras. The next ten years she served on the routes for which she was intended but in 1938 was requisitioned for the Munich crisis, from November 1939 for the following four months as personnel ship and permanently from May 1940. On the voyage to England to take up her war duties she was part of a Company convoy led by Karaja, accompanied by Kenya, Talamba and Rohna when the Karanja had a fire in her baggage hold the cause of which was sabotage. 1940 she trooped mainly Bombay-Suez and from December 1941 she carried Indian troops to Singapore for its defence returning on homeward voyages loaded with evacuees until the Island finally fell on the 15thFebruary 1942. In July of the same year she carried the 6th Australian Division from Colombo to Australia for their redeployment to New Guinea for its defence. She attended the successful Allied landings at Syracuse, Augusta and Anzio in 1943, in 1944 she carried troops out and wounded back at the Burma assaults when acting as an ambulance transport. The following year she trooped Calcutta to Malaysia and Rangoon for their reoccupation.
After a refit in the UK the Rajula returned once more to the Far East where she took up her normal peacetime duties. In 1947 her passenger complement was reduced to 37 First Class passengers, 133 Second Class and 1, 727 Deck. In 1955 along with all the other British India passenger ships her hull was painted white with a blank riband and bunks were fitted for most of her Deck passengers. She had an extensive refit at the Mitsubishi Yard of Kobe in the February of 1962 and gravity steel lifeboats replaced the older double-tiered wooden ones. On the 3rd November 1966 she ran into a tropical cyclone whilst on passage from Nagapatam to Madras, having been driven for thirty miles along the coast she drove hard with her engines running full astern and managed to reverse herself from danger, seven other ships unfortunately were not so fortuitous and were driven ashore and wrecked. Apparently the passengers were so relieved at docking safely in Madras that they held a Thanksgiving service on the jetty for the Rajula. She was once again in the news when she rescued fifteen Japanese fishermen from the Ohzuru Maru No.1 which had caught fire on the 27th January 1971, the survivors were landed at Madras. The ship was briefly owned by P & O after the reorganisation in 1953 but six months later she was sold to the Shipping Corporation of India and renamed Rangat, for the next six months she served on the Andaman-Nicobar Island/Calcutta Port Blair service until being laid up in Bombay on 2nd May 1974. Whilst alongside she was stripped of all her fittings and lifeboats before being delivered for breaking by Maharashtra Shipbreaking Company of Bombay just short of her forty eighth birthday.
I took the above picture whilst anchored at the Roads in Singapore when I was aboard the L.S.L. Sir Bedivere, one of my greatest regrets is that I never visited what was regarded by all Officers in British India as the Grand Dam of the British India Fleet. Twenty six years after her demise I'm sure that with the current trend for nostalgia Rajula would have been preserved which would have been far more fitting for a ship of her distinction.
Kindly provided by David Milligan. From BI News.
Built : 1938 Swan, Hunter and Wigham Richardson, Wallsend.
Tonnage: 8, 314g, 3, 993n, 6, 326 dwt. Dwt
Engines : Twin Screw, 2 x 3 Stage Parsons Turbines, 8, 800 SHP, 18.51 Knots (Trials)
Passengers: 45 First Class, 110 Second Class, 154Tourist, 2, 327 Deck, 180 Crew.
Refrigerated Space: 4, 100 cuft.
Launched 30th April 1938, completed 10th November 1938. Yard No. 1570.
Amra is a village East of Benares, Uttar Pradesh.
Along with her sisters she was built to replace the aging 'A' Class ships on the Calcutta - Rangoon mail service and she sailed from London to Calcutta on her maiden voyage on the 18th November. She was requisitioned in 1940 for Trooping duties and completed two tours before being converted to Hospital Ship No. 41 in the December at Bombay. She was fitted with 385 beds and had a medical staff of 107 and operated Somaliland - Mombasa - Durban. In 1943 she was transferred to the Mediterranean and attended the Sicily Landings in July and the Salerno Landings in the September. She wasn't released from her war duties until September of 1946 and after refit which saw her accommodation change to 222 Cabin Class, 737 deck she briefly returned to the Calcutta - Rangoon service before being transferred to the Bombay - East/ South African route.
In October of 1950 she arrived at Durban to have her boilers converted from coal to oil burning and in the March of 1951 once more returned to service. She spent a further fifteen uneventful years in service before being sold for scrap to Chou's Iron and Steel Co Ltd of Taipei arriving at Keelung on the 2nd of December work commenced the following year. Her bell was presented to the R.A.F. and Trucial Oman Scouts for hanging in their church at Sharjah.
Built: 1939 BY Swan, Hunter & Wigham Richardson ltd., Wallsend.
Tonnage: 8, 323g 3, 974n 3, 050dwt
Engines: Twin-Screw, Two Sets of Three Stage Parsons Turbines Mechanical Autostokers, 8, 800 SHP. 19.05 Knots (Trials).
Passengers: 45 First Class, 50 Second Class A, 60 Second Class B, 2327 Deck.
Launched 20th April 1939. Completed on 31st July 1939. Yard No. 1, 596
Along with her two sisters Amra and Aronda, Aska was built primarily for the Calcutta-Rangoon Mail Route, the war intervened and the conditions for the service no longer existed at the War's end so the two survivors found themselves on alternative routes. Having just reached her intended station hostilities commenced and Aska was immediately requisitioned for the Liner Division in March 1940, two months later she became a Personnel Ship. At the end of August 1940 she sailed from Freetown, Sierra Leone calling at Bathurst (Banjul), the Gambia and on the 7th September sailed for Liverpool with 350 French troops on board, some of whom wished to go to France, the rest to join General De Gaulle in England.
The Aska being capable of twenty knots was not in convoy, maintaining a speed of between 16 and 17 knots she made good progress. On Sunday morning the 15th September the Offcier of the watch reported seeing a periscope, no attack materialised, no doubt because that particular day the RAF was in evidence patrolling the area.
At 0230 an aircraft appeared whilst the Aska was zigzagging between Rathlin Island and the Maidens Rock, Western Approaches, at first it was thought that it was the RAF. But after two bombs passed through the Engineers' accommodation exploding in the Engine Room the illusion was dispelled. Immediately the Ship was plunged into darkness, the only light coming from the fire which was raging in the accommodation and along the boat deck, the enemy made another pass dropping a third bomb which hit the fo'c'sle. After the third hit the Captain ordered the Ship to be abandoned, the boats were lowered and survivors were picked up in the main by fishing trawlers which later transferred them to HMS Jason for landing at Greenock. Three Engineers who survived the blast were incredibly lucky, Mr Hall escaped through the porthole after his cabin had been destroyed, Mr. Bisset in a similar manner and Mr; Valentine was pulled clear through the deck head by his steward. Six other Engineers, Mr's Elrick 3/E, Green 4/E, Aitken 5/E, Tolle 5 /E, Martin 5/E and Easton 5/E all lost their lives along with six crewmembers and nineteen troops. The ship drifted and finally ran ashore on Cara Island the following day, a total loss.
Dilwara Photograph taken pre-1950 refit.
Dilwara after 1950 refit
Built: 1936 at Barcley Curle and Co., Glasgow
Tonnage: 11, 080g 6, 572n (Source Merchant Navy Fleets)
11, 050g 6, 553n (Source Laxton and Perry)
12, 555 (Source Merchant Navy Ships of the Solent, Bert Moody)
Engines: Twin-screw 2x5 Doxfords opposed piston 2S. C.S.A. 11, 880 B.H.P. Speed 14 knots, 16.08 Knots at trials.
With Thanks to David Milligan. Originally Shown in BI News.
Passenger numbers vary but I'll use Laxton and Perry: 104 First Class, 100 Second Class, 164 Third Class and 1, 154 Troops. The numbers change again in 1950 and yet again in 1960 when she's acquired by The China Navigation Company and used as a pilgrim ship.
Building cost £403, 700
She is the first purpose built troopship of the Twentieth Century. All previous ships having been converted after charter by the Government.
Launched 17th October 1935, delivered 16th January 1936. In 1937 she takes part in King George V Coronation Review. When not trooping she becomes one of the first ships to do educational cruises to Scandinavia.
Dilwara during Boat Drill
1939 - 1941 Troops mainly South Africa - Suez.
April 1941 Takes part in the evacuation of Greece at Kalmat.
1942 She's converted to a Landing Ship Infantry (Light) and carries the landing crafts. Takes part at the landings on Madagascar.
1943 She suffers mine damage whilst taking part in the Burmese Coast assaults.
Sept.'45-mid '49 She continues her trooping duties before arriving in Glasgow for a rebuild at Barcley Curle in November 1949. The well deck is filled in and the height of the funnel is increased. Hammocks are out and bunks replace them. Her tonnage increases at this time to the figure given by both Duncan Haws and Bert Moody to 12,555g 7, 540n.
She then takes part at the abortive Suez Canal landings in August 1956. Due to American pressure both the French and British finally have to pull out.
1960 She is acquired by China Navigation and is used on the pilgrim service before being finally scrapped by Tung Cheng Steel Co., Kaohsiung.
The second of the four purpose built troopships built in 1930s. Photographed in her BI Educational Cruise Ship days, as is the Devonia, which follows. If anyone can supply photographs with both ships in trooping livery I would appreciate it.
Dunera in Trooping Livery
Dunera © mpl
Dunera in BI Livery
Built: 1937 at Barclay Curle & Co., Glasgow
Tonnage: 11, 197g 6, 634n
Launched: 10th May, delivered 23rd August 1937.
1939-1941 trooped Middle East, South Africa, Singapore and Australia.
With Thanks to Bill Caddick, ex-South Lancashire Regiment.
In 1942 she was converted into a landing ship infantry, carries ten landing craft and in September takes part in the landings at Majunga, Madagascar. July 1943 she takes part in the Sicily landings and in August of 1944 she becomes the headquarters ship for the 7th US Army for the South of France invasion. In May of 1945 she takes part in the re-occupation of Rangoon and in September is lead ship at the Malaysia landings. The years end sees her trooping India/Malaya.
1946-1950 General trooping duties and in March of 1950 to May 1951 she is rebuilt at Barclay Curle in Glasgow like the Dilwara but has the capacity to carry more troops, a total of 831.
After completion she recommences her trooping duties, which includes Cyprus, Ceylon and Malaya. On the 8th of February she arrives at Hebburn for conversion into an educational cruise ship at Vikers Armstrong yard. Her tonnage is now 12, 620g. She has the passenger capacity of some 194 cabin class and 834 students. A swimming pool is fitted and her funnel becomes that of BI. On her first cruise sailing from Greenock she carries 732 students. Her end comes when she is sold to Revalorizacion De Material S.A., Bilbao and is broken up.
Dunera photographed at Whampoa, Kowloon in 1960.
Devonia as Devonshire for Bibby Line © mpl
Built: 1939 at Fairfield S.B. & E. Co. Glasgow.
Tonnage: 11, 275g 6, 758n
Engines: Twin screw 2x8 Cylinder Sulzers 6, 500 BHP 16 Knots
The Devonshire was the final ship in the four troopship build program. The third ship Ettrick being built for P & O and was sunk during the Second World War. The Devonia was built for Bibby Line who ran her on trooping duties until selling her to British India for £175, 000 in January of 1962.
Launched on the 20th December 1938 she entered service in July of 1939 and does general trooping duties until the outbreak of the war. From then on she is involved in the Mediterranean, Singapore, Sicily and Salerno, Italy. On 7th June during the D-Day landings in line ahead she is accompanied by three other Bibby Line ships, the Cheshire, Lancashire and Worcestershire carrying 10, 000 troops for the Normandy Bridgeheads. After the war she continues trooping and is involved in the Korean conflict before arriving in April of 1953 at Glasgow for a refit similar to that of the Dilwara. After refit her tonnage is now 12, 773g and she carries 130 First Class, 96 Second Class and 824 troops. She resumes her trooping duties February 1954.
As previously stated she is eventually sold to British India renamed Devonia in 1962 and embarks on her educational cruise career until being sold for scrap and broken up at La Spezia.
The penultimate ship specifically designed for trooping duties, the Nevasa, was also the largest conventional ship ever built for BI. Her delivery date coincided with the Company's 100th anniversary and, within the Company, was often referred to as The Centenary Ship. She was the third Company ship to carry her name which either comes from a village near Ahmednagar, Western India or could possibly be a corruption of Naivasha, a town and lake North West of Nairobi.
Built: 1956 Barcley Curle and Co. Ltd., Glasgow. Yard No. 733
Tonnage: 20, 527g 11, 496n 8, 271dwt
Engines: Twin-screw 2x3 Parsons/ Pamatrada turbines 18, 400 SHP. 20.96 Knots (Trials)
Passengers: 220 First Class, 110 Second Class, 180 Third Class and 1, 000 Troop deck - 1965 308 Cabin Class, 1, 090 students.
Laid down May 1953, Launched by Mrs. J. A. Boyd-Carpenter, wife of the then Minister of Transport November 1955. Completed on 12th July 1956.
For 6 years the Nevasa was able to complete the duties for which she was designed but with the Government decision to transport troops by air her career as a Trooper came to an end and after her final trip in September 1962 she was laid up on the River Fal in October of the same year.
With Thanks to Bill Caddick, ex-South Lancashire Regiment.
Unable to be used on any other regular BI route she lay forgotten on the Fal until October 1964 when she was fitted out as an Educational Cruise Ship at Silley Cox and Co. Ltd., Falmouth. Unable, because of her draft, to visit some of the ports that Dunera and Devonia called at regularly she nevertheless had a very successful career.
On the 5th December 1972 her ownership passed to P&O and due to the oil crisis her future became rather bleak. So much so that on the 2nd April 1975 she was sold to Nan Feng Steel Enterprise Co. Ltd for demolition and work commenced at Kaohsiung on the 10th June.
BI Nevasa & P & O Chusan in Hong Kong, November 1958.
Commodore RHA Bond OBE & Commodore JCW Last OBE.
With Thanks to David Milligan. Originally Shown in BI News.