BLUE FUNNEL

Blue Funnel

(Source: Merchant Fleets by Duncan Haws)
S.S Pyrrhus photographs curtesy of Captain John Bax.
     1948-1950   -  1951-1954   -   1955-1957


1944

Jan 16 Perseus II torpedoed.

Aug 31 Troilus III torpedoed.

This ship was to be the final Blue Funnel ship lost through enemy action. In all the Company lost 41 ships totalling just under 322,000 gross tons, 324 lives were lost.

1945

During the entire war only two ships were built to Blue Funnel specifications. They were Priam IV and Telemachus IV. Two other ships were purchased on the stocks of the Fast Empire Class. These were Rhexenor II and Stentor IV.

MYRMIDON


©Iain Lovie

Built : 1945 by Permanente Metal Corporation, Shipyard No. 1, Richmond, California.
Tonnage: 7, 715g, 4, 569n, 10, 755 dwt.
Engine: Single Screw, 2 Double Reduction Geared Turbines by Westinghouse, Pittsburgh, 15 Knots.
Accommodation for 28 A.A. Gunners, Crew 62.

Son of Zeus and Eurymedusa 2 (daughter of Cletor), whom the god approached having assumed the form of an ant. Myrmidon married Pisidice 1, daughter of Aeolus 1, and had children by her: Eupolemia, Antiphus 1, Actor 1, and Hiscilla.

Delivered in August of 1945 for the United States Marine Corps and named Ripon Victory. Originally intended for Ocean S.S. she eventually went to China Mutual S.N. in 1947 becoming Mytmidon. Her final voyage was for Elder Dempster Lines before arriving at Kaohsiung, Taiwan on the 27th of September 1971 for breaking by the Tien Cheng Steel Manufacturing Co of Taipei.

RHEXENOR



Built 1945 Caledon S.B. Andes Co. Dundee.
Tonnage 10, 199g 6,022n
Engine Single screw, oil 2 S.DA 8 cylinder 1,320 NHP 15 knots by John G. Kincaid, Greenock.

Rhexenor was the son of Nausithous, he was killed by Apollo.

The vessel was a fast empire class and was purchased on the stocks and completed to Alfred Holt requirements. She had extensive refrigerated capacity and was used on the Australian service, scrapped in 1975.



1946

Blue Funnel remaining fleet were supplemented using Liberty and Victory ships until the new building programme started with Calchas, to be followed by twenty other sister ships spread over the next seven years.


STENTOR


©Iain Lovie

Built: 1946 by Caledon S.B. & E Dundee.
Tonnage: 10, 203g, 6, 053n, 10, 805 dwt.
Engine: Single Screw, 2S. DA, 8 Cylinder by John Kincaid, 1, 320 NHP, 15 Knots.

Stentor had a brazen voice and could raise a shout like that of fifty men together. Hera took the shape of Stentor (and his "stentorian" voice) during the Trojan War when she addressed the Achaeans encouraging them to fight.

Acquired by Ocean S.S. Stentor was a fast Empire Class which was purchased on the stocks and completed to Alfred Holt requirements. In 1958 she transferred to Glen Line becoming Glenshiel and underwent further transfers within the Group before finally finishing up back at Ocean S.S. as Stentor. On the 1st of April 1975 when in Singerpore she was sold for breaking and for the delivery voyage to Taiwan was renamed Tentos arriving on the 6th of April.

ASPHALLION



Built: 1947 by Caledon S.B. & E Co, Dundee.
Tonnage: 7, 632g, 4, 449n.
Engine: Single Screw, 2S. DA, 8 Cylinder by John G. Kincaid & Co, Greenock, 6, 800 BHP, 15.5 Knots.
Passengers: 12 - 18
Completed in December 1947.

Palace servant of Menelaus.

Delivered as Achilles for Ocean S.S. and made her maiden voyage in January of 1948. Transferred to Glen Line in April of 1949 becoming Radnorshire, reverted to Blue Funnel December 1962 and renamed Asphalion. In January of 1966 she became Polyphemus for N.S.M. 'Oceaan' and in November of 1972 she reverted once more to Asphalion when she returned to Ocean S.S. In October of 1975 Asphalion was sold to Gulf (Shipowners) Ltd of London and renamed Gulf Anchor, she was finally broken at Kaohsiung in 1979.


As Achilles.
© unknown

CALCHAS



Built 1947 at Harland and Wolff, Belfast.
Tonnage 7, 639g 4, 526n 9, 300 dwt
Engines Single screw 8 cylinder B and W 6, 800BHP, 15.5 knots.

Calchas was the soothsayer in the Trojan War who predicted that Achilles' aid was necessary for the Greeks to win, that Iphigenia must be sacrificed before the Greeks sail to Troy, and that the war would take ten years to win. He died from disappointment when bettered in a trial of skill by the prophet Mopsus.

First in her class of an extensive rebuild program instigated by Holts which was spread over a seven year period. She was launched on the 27th August 1946 and delivered in January 1947 for China Mutual S.N.Co. In 1957 she is transferred to Glen Line and becomes Glenfinlas. In 1962 she reverts back to her name of Calchas. 1971/72 she is operated by Elder Dempster and in July 1973 she catches fire and burns out of control for five days at Port Kelang, Malaysia. Beyond repair she is towed to Kaohsiung for scrapping.



ANCHISES


©Iain Lovie

Built: 1947 by Caledon S.B. & E. Co, Dundee.
Tonnage: 7? 642g, 4? 474n.
Engine: Single Screw, 2S. DA 8 Cylinder B & W by Harland & Wolff, 6, 800 BHP, 15.5 Knots.
Passenger: 12-18


©I.L.

A cousin of King Priam of Troy and father of ∆neas by Aphrodite. When Zeus overheard him bragging about his affair with the goddess he struck him blind with a thunderbolt. He was rescued from Troy as the Greeks sacked the city by his son, and travelled with him on his 7 year voyage.

Because of delays in building Anchises was denied the honour of being the first of the 'A' Class whose name she carried by the Belfast built Calchas. Launched September 1946 and completed in April 1947. for Ocean S.S. she made her maiden voyage from Birkenhead to the Far East in the May. On the 21st of June 1949 when on her way from Woosung to Shanghai on the Wangpoo River she was bombed by Chinese Nationalist fighter bombers, the Engine Room was flooded and she settled by the stern in shallow water. She was successfully refloated and towed upriver to discharge during which time she was attacked again but fortunately no further damage was sustained, she was eventually towed to Kobe, Japan for repairs. In January of 1973 she transferred to NSMO becoming Alcinous and two months later transferred to China Mutual. From August 1974 until the November she was operated by Glen Line and then once more reverted to China Mutual. In December of 1975 she was finally broken by Hang Hua Enterprises Co Ltd at Kaohsiung, Taiwan.

AENEAS


©Iain Lovie

Built: 1947 by Caledon S.B. & E. Co, Dundee.
Tonnage: 7, 641g, 4, 473n.
Engine: Single Screw, 2S. DA 8 Cylinder by John Kincaid of Greenock, 6, 800 BHP, 15.5 Knots.
Passengers: 12-18

The son of Aphrodite and Anchises (a cousin of King Priam of Troy). He entered the battle for Troy after Achilles raided his flocks on Mount Ida. Although he fought bravely, he was frequently helped by the gods.

When the Greeks entered Troy, ∆neas managed to carry his blind father away to safety. The story of his voyage is told in the Roman Epic Virgil's ∆neid, eventually he reached Italy where he founded Lavinia.

She was completed for China Mutual S.N. Co and remained in continuous service for them for twenty-five years unbroken by transfer within the Group. She arrived in Taiwan in the July of 1972 for breaking at Kaohsiung.

1948-1950


ASTYANAX



Built: 1948 by Scotts S.B. & E. Co, Greenock.
Tonnage: 7, 654g, 4, 481n.
Engine: Single Screw, 2S. DA, 8 Cylinder by John G. Kincaid & Co, Greenock, 6, 800 BHP, 15.5 Knots.
Passengers: 12 - 18

Son of Hector and Andromache. When the Greeks captured Troy, they killed him out of fear that he would avenge his father and his city. He was also known as Scamandrius.

Astyanax was delivered to China Mutual S.N. Co in April of 1948. She transferred to Glen Line in November of 1957 becoming Glanfruin and stayed for nearly five years before returning once more to China Mutual becoming Astyanax again in September of 1962. She arrived in Kaohsiung in December of 1972 for breaking.

CLYTONEUS



Built Caladon S.Bande Co., Dundee.
Tonnage 7, 620g 4,434n
Engines John G. Kincaid & Co., Greenock 15.5 knots.

Clytoneus was the father of Nauplius.

Launched in 1948 the first of the mark A2 class of six ships built with Tween deck accommodation giving them the capability of carrying pilgrims to Jeddah. When the ships were on this service the lifeboats were doubled up one atop the other. This photograph was clearly taken after the Gunung Djati replaced the mark A2 class ships in 1959. The Clytoneus was owned by Ocean S.S. Co. and the last six months of her operational life was run by Elder Dempster until June 1972 when she was scrapped at Kaohsiung.



CYCLOPS


With Thanks to Captain John Bax

Built: 1948 by Scots S.B. & E. Co, Greenock.
Tonnage: 7, 632g, 4, 476n.
Engine: Single Screw, 2S. D.A., 8 Cylinder by Builder, 6, 800 BHP, 15.5 Knots.



©Iain Lovie

Cyclop (plural Cyclopes). There are two versions. In one they were three immense one-eyed beings, who were smiths, sons of Uranus and Gaea, who made, for Zeus, the lightning bolts he used to slay his enemies. In another, they were a barbarous people, one of whom, Polyphemus, was encountered by Odysseus in his wanderings.

She was launched and delivered for Ocean S.S. Co. and made her maiden voyage December 1948. In the September of 1955 outward bound from Liverpool to Kobe she was in collision with Henderson Line's Prome off Hollyhead. She had to return to Liverpool for repairs and it was some ten days before she was able to continue. In 1975 the position of the radar was changed from Bridge top to funnel top thus alleviating the blindness aft of the funnel.

In July 1975 renamed Automedon to release the Cyclops name for the Product Carrier recently launched for Ocean Titan Ltd in the Netherlands. She transferred to Elder Dempster retaining her name but not Company colours in December of 1975. She spent January to march of 1977 on charter to the Nigerian National Line and in the August was broken by W.H. Arnott Young & Co of Dalmuir.

PYRRHUS


Pyrrhus
With Thanks to Captain John Bax.

Built: 1949 by Cammell Laird & Co, Birkenhead.
Tonnage: 10, 093g, 5, 888n, 11, 000 dwt.
Engine: Single Screw, 3 Steam Turbine, Double Reduction Geared, 14, 000 NHP, 15, 000 SHP, 18.5 Knots.
Passengers: 35.
Launched 3rd September 1948.

Son of Achilles. In the Trojan War he proved himself brave but cruel. He killed Priam at the altar of Zeus and threw Astyanax, son of Hector, from the wall of Troy. After the war he took Andromache as a slave to his kingdom in Epirus. Later he abandoned her for Hermione. He was killed at Delphi for an outrage he committed against the shrine. In Euripides' Andromache, Orestes murders him to win the love of Hermione. He was sometimes called Neoptolemus.

Pyrrhus was the second of the 'P' Class 'A' Class cargo liners and by far the most powerful motor ships Alfred Holt's had built to date. Whilst berthed at Gladstone Dock at Liverpool in 1964 she caught fire which took twenty-four hours to bring under control. The ship had to be evacuated on two occasions because her stability was threatened with the sheer volume of water which was being pumped onboard. After repairs she continued on her normal commercial service until being sold for breaking at Taiwan arriving on the 19th of September 1972.

PELEUS



Built 1949 at Cammell Laird & Co., Birkenhead.
Tonnage 10, 093g 5, 888n
Engines 3 Parsons turbines single screw 15, 000 SHP 18.5 knots, 2 Foster-Wheeler boilers 570lbs per sq ins.


With Thanks to Captain John Bax

Peleus was the son of Aeacus, father of Archilles and husband of the sea nymph Thetis.

Owned by Ocean S.S.Co. and ran by them until 1972 when she was scrapped in Taiwan.

AUTOLYCUS


©I.L.

Built: 1949 by Vickers Armstrong Ltd, Newcastle.
Tonnage: 7, 635g, 4, 435n.
Engine: Single Screw, 2S. DA, 8 Cylinder by Harland & Wolff of Glasgow, 6, 800 BHP, 15.5 Knots.
Passengers: 12 - 18

The son of Hermes, from whom he received special powers in thieving and trickery. According to one legend Autolycus stole from Sisyphus, who revenged himself by seducing Autolycus' daughter Anticlea, who was Odysseus' mother.

Delivered in May of 1949 to China Mutual S.N. Co. Transferred to Elder Dempster Lines in November of 1974 retaining her name. Laid up at Bromborough Dock after one round trip in June of 1975. Chartered briefly to the Nigerian National Line she was eventually sold to Gulf (Shipowners) Ltd, London and renamed Gulf Trader in 1976. She was again chartered to N.N.L. and remained as such until arriving at Kaohsiung in June of 1978 for breaking.

HECTOR


Hector at Port Melbourne
Kindly Supplied by Captain John Bax.

Built: 1950 by Harland & Wolff, Belfast.
Tonnage: 10, 125g, 5, 992n
Engine: Single Screw, 3 Double Reduction Geared Turbines, 14, 000 SHP, 18.5 Knots.
Passengers: 35.
Launched July 1949, Completed March 1950.



Leader and greatest hero of the Trojan troops during the Trojan War. He was the eldest son of Priam and Hecuba, the husband of Andromache, and the father by her of Astyanax. In the Iliad he is portrayed as the courageous mainstay of Trojan resistance. He was killed by Achilles in revenge for the death of Patroclus. Hector had several hero cults, most notably at Troy and Thebes.

Completed for the Australian Service for Ocean S.S. Co she was launched by Mr. Clement Atlee and commenced her maiden voyage on the 25th of April. During the mid 1960's like the others of her class she ceased to carry passengers. She arrived at Kaohsiung for breaking on the 5th of July 1972.

JASON


©I.L.

Built: 1950 by Swan, Hunter & Wigham Richardson Ltd, Wallsend.
Tonnage: 10, 160g, 5, 936n.
Engine: Single Screw, 3 x Double Reduction Geared Turbines, 14, 000 SHP, 18.5 Knots.
Passengers: 29 - 31

Son of Aeson. When Pelias usurped the throne of Iolcus and killed (or imprisoned) Aeson and most of his descendants, Jason was smuggled off to the centaur Chiron, who reared him secretly on Mt. Pelion. Later Pelias promised Jason his rightful kingdom if he would bring the Golden Fleece to Boeotia. Jason assembled Greece's bravest heroes and together they sailed in the Argo in quest of the fleece. On their journey the Argonauts were seduced by beautiful women, attacked by warriors, buffeted by storms, and challenged by monstrous creatures. Finally the blind prophet Phineus told them how to make their way safely to Colchis, where the Golden Fleece was kept. When they arrived there, King AeŽtes demanded that before Jason take the fleece he yoke together two fire-breathing bulls, plow the field of Ares, and sow it with dragon's teeth obtained from Laertes Cadmus. AeŽtes' daughter Medea fell in love with Jason and gave him magical protection that allowed him to complete the tasks. In return Jason swore an oath of fidelity and promised to take her with him to Greece. When AeŽtes still refused to relinquish the fleece, Medea revealed its hiding place and drugged the guardian dragon. The Argonauts then fled Colchis with the fleece, pursued by AeŽtes. But Medea killed and cut to pieces his son Absyrtus, scattering the parts of his body in the sea. AeŽtes stopped to retrieve them. In another version, Absyrtus led the pursuit and, when Medea tricked him into an ambush, was killed by Jason. Jason and Medea stopped to be purified of the murder by Circe at Aeaea, and there they were married. When they returned to Iolcus they found that Pelias had continued his tyrannical rule. Medea persuaded Pelias that he could be rejuvenated by having pieces of his body boiled in a magical brew. She then convinced his daughters that they should perform the task of cutting up their father. Pelias was thus murdered by his innocent daughters. Jason seized the city, but he and Medea were expelled by Acastus, the son of Pelias. They sailed on to Orchomenses in Boeotia, where they hung the fleece in a temple. Then they went to Corinth. There Medea had rights to the throne, and Jason reigned for many years. But he forgot his oath and tried to divorce Medea so that he could marry Creusa, daughter of King Creon. In revenge, Medea, by magic and trickery, burned to death both the father and daughter. Because Jason had broken his oath, the gods caused him to wander homeless for many years. As an old man he returned to Corinth, where, resting in the shadow of the Argo, he was killed when the prow toppled over on him. The story of Jason and Medea appears frequently in literature, most notably in Euripides.

Jason was the second of the 'H' Class ships built for the Australian Service, at the time of building they had the greatest Shaft Horse Power of any Single Screw ship. She made her maiden voyage for China Mutual S.N. on the 19th of February 1950. She carried the Australian Olympic Equestrian Team in a purpose built paddock from Sydney to Liverpool for the Rome Games in 1960. She arrived at Kaohsiung on the 5th of July 1972 for breaking.

LAERTES


©I.L.

Built: 1950 by Vickers Armstrong Ltd, Newcastle.
Tonnage: 7, 664g, 4, 533n.
Engine: Single Screw, 2S. DA, 8 Cylinder by John G. Kincaid & Co, Greencok, 6, 800 BHP, 15.5 Knots.
Passengers: 12 - 18.

Foster-father of Odysseus. His wife Anticlea had been seduced by Autolycus (son of Hermes) and became pregnant with Odysseus, but Laertes forgave her and brought up Odysseus as he would have a son of his own.

Laertes was the final vessel of the Mark A2 type and she was completed for N. S. M. 'Oceaan' in October of 1950. She transferred to Blue Funnel in August of 1972 becoming Idomeneus and was briefly operated by Elder Dempster Lines from 1975 until she was sold in June of 1976 to Gulf Shipping Lines becoming Gulf Voyager. She arrived at Gandani Beach on the 8th of May 1978 for breaking by Noor Steel Ltd.

TELAMON


With Thanks to Captain John Bax

Built: 1950 by Joseph L. Thompson & Sons, Sunderland.
Tonnage: 8, 922g, 5, 273n.
Engine: Single Screw, 3 Steam Turbine Double Reduction Geared.

The father of Ajax, and a member of the Argonauts as well as a participant in the Calydonian Boar hunt.

Launched as Silverlaurel for S & J Thompson Silver Line she was purchased before completion for N.S.M. Ocean and renamed Teucer. She transferred to British registry in 1960 and owned by China Mutal S.N. Co becoming Telamon. She was sold in 1971 to the Aegis Group, flew the Cypriot flag and renamed Aegis Epic. Two years later she was sold for breaking and work commenced in the December of 1973 at Shanghai.

TELEMACHUS



Built 1950 at Joseph L. Thompson & Sons, Sunderland.
Tonnage 8, 924g 5, 272n
Engine 3 turbine double reduction guarded single screw.

Telemachus was the only son of Odysseus and Penelope. He helped his father kill Penelope's suitors. Later, according to some, he married Circe!

Launched in 1950 as Silver elm for Silver Line, completed as Dieresis for N.S.M. Ocean, Amsterdam. 1960 she was acquired by Ocean S.S. Co. transferred to the Red Ensign and renamed Telemachus. In 1971 she was sold to Aegis Group and sailed under the Cypriot flag until being broken up in China beginning of 1973.

BELLEROPHON



Built: 1950 by Caledon S.B.& E. Co, Dundee.
Tonnage: 7, 707g, 4, 485n
Engine: Single Screw, 2S.S.A., 7 Cylinder 4S.S.A. by Kincaid, Greenock.

Bellerophon was the son of Glaucus originally called HipponoŁs. He died from injuries sustained whilst trying to ride Pegasus and angering Zeus.

One of a class of Twenty-one ships instigated by Blue Funnel after the war. Bellerophon was delivered in the October of 1950 to Ocean S.S. Co, a Mark A3. She transferred to Glen Line in 1957, renamed Cardiganshire. Reverted back to Blue Funnel for China Mutual S.N. Co. becoming Bellerophon again. Transferred to Elder Dempster in 1975 retaining her name. Sold out of the Fleet the following year to Saudi-Europe Line Ltd, renamed Obhor. In 1978 she was briefly chartered for the making of a film and renamed Bell for that period before arriving on the 23rd of September 1978 at Gadani Beach for scrapping.

ASCANIUS


With Thanks to Captain John Bax.

Built: 1950 by Harland & Wolff, Belfast.
Tonnage: 7, 692g, 4, 545n.
Engine: Single Screw, 7 Cylinder 2S. S.A. by Kincaid, 6, 800 BHP, 15.5 Knots.
Passengers: 12/18.

Son of Aretaon and leader of the Phrygians allied with Troy.

Ascanius was a Mark III 'A' Class ship and built for Ocean S.S. Co. She transferred to Elder Dempster Lines and renamed Akosombo in 1972, returned to Blue Funnel the following year, reverted to Ascanius but ownership changed to China Mutual S.N. Co. Ascanius was sold out of the Fleet in 1976 to the Saudi - Europe Line Ltd in 1976 becoming Mastura and on the 4th of April 1978 she arrived at Blyth for breaking by Hughes Bolckow Ltd.

1951-1954


ATREUS


©I.L.

Built: 1951 by Vickers Armstrong Ltd, Newcastle.
Tonnage: 7, 800g, 4, 545n.
Engine: Single Screw, 2S. SA, 7 Cylinder by John G. Kincaid & Co, Greenock, 6, 800 BHP, 15.5 Knots.
Passengers: 12 - 18

The son of Pelops and the father of Agamemnon and Menelaus. He vied with his brother Thyestes for the throne of Mycenae. When Thyestes seduced Atreus' wife, Aerope, in order to attain the golden ram whose possession signified kingship, Atreus, in retaliation, murdered the sons of Thyestes and served them to him at a feast. Thyestes thereupon laid a curse upon the house of Atreus. Thyestes' son Aegisthus, who was not involved in the mass murder, killed Atreus and restored the kingdom to Thyestes.

An 'A' Class Mark 3 she was completed for China Mutual S.N. Co in November of 1951. Atreus was sold to the Sherwood Shipping Company of Singapore in October of 1977 and renamed United Valiant. She arrived at Kaohsiung on the 23rd of February 1979 for breaking.

IXION



Built 1951 at Harland & Wolff, Belfast.
Tonnage 10, 125g 5,919n
Engine 3 double reduction geared turbines 14, 000 ship at 106 RPM speed 18 knots. 2 foster wheeler boilers 525lbs per sq. ins.

King of the Lapithes. He murdered his bride's father to avoid paying him the bride price. When no one on earth would purify him, Zeus took Ixion to Olympus and purified him. Ixion attempted to seduce Hera, but Zeus created a phantom of her and by it Ixion fathered the centaurs. In punishment he was chained for eternity to a fiery wheel in Tartarus.

One of four sister ships built for the Australian service, when completed this class had the largest shaft horsepower for single screw ships. Scrapped in 1972 at Villaneuva Y Geltru, Spain.



The above is a painting of an unknown vessel in the Far East. She is a Mark 1, 2 or 3 of the 'A' Class twenty-one ship build programme which commenced in 1951. Picture kindly supplied by Captain John Kleijn from Antwerp.



ALCINOUS



©Iain Lovie

Built: 1952 by Vickers Armstrong Ltd, Newcastle.
Tonnage: 7, 799g, 4, 538n.
Engine: Single Screw, 7 Cylinder 2S. SA by John Kincaid & Co, 15.5 Knots.
Passengers: 12-18

King of Phaeacia, father of Nausicaš. He aided Odysseus in his journey back to Ithaca. In the story of Jason, he protects Jason and Medea from the Colchians.

Completed in the April for Ocean S.S. she transferred in August of 1960 to N.S.M. 'Oceaan' becoming Polydorus. She reverted back to Blue Funnel in November of 1973 and in 1976 was sold to Holts Agents S.H. Alatas of Jeddah in a move which was meant to reduce port delays. For this exercise which only lasted five months she was renamed Johara the adventure proved unpopular with the crew for the ship remained dry (no alcohol) due to Muslim law. She reverted back to Blue Funnel in the November changing her name in thze process but a year later was sold out of the fleet to Hesperus Navigation Corp of Monrovia becoming Matina under the Panamanian flag. On the 23rd of April 1978 she arrived at Gadani Beach for breaking.

NESTOR


With Thanks to Captain John Bax.

Built: 1952 by Caledon S.B. & E. Co, Dundee.
Tonnage: 7, 802g, 4, 368n, 9, 500 dwt.
Engine : Single Screw, 3 x Double Reduced Geared Turbines by Metro Vickers Manchester.

Wise king of Pylos; son of Neleus and father of Antilochus. In the Iliad, Nestor went with the Greeks to the Trojan War, and although he had lived three generations he was still a vigorous warrior and a respected adviser. In the Odyssey, because of his piety and prudence, the gods allowed him to return unharmed to Pylos after the war.

First to be completed of her namesake's Class she was delivered to Ocean SS Co for the Australian service. Such was the complexity down below that specialist Engineers were required to run them, i.e. once you were appointed to this class of ship it left the Fleet before you did. She transferred to Glen Line becoming Glenaffric in 1968 and reverted once more back to Blue Funnel in 1970 with a name change to Orestes. She briefly spent some time with Glen Line in 1970 but retained her name and she was finally sold out of the Fleet to the Aegis Group becoming Aegis Dignity in 1971. She was sold to Chinese breakers of Whampoa and work commenced in the November of 1973.

POLYDORUS


Picture kindly supplied by Captain John Kleijn from Antwerp.

Built: 1952 by Vickers Armstrong Ltd, Newcastle.
Tonnage: 7, 799g, 4, 538n.
Engine: Single Screw, 7 Cylinder 2S.S.A. by J.G. Kincaid, 6, 800 BHP, 15.5 Knots.
Launched January 1952, Completed April 1952.


©Iain Lovie

Polydorus was a Greek sculptor.

This 'A' Class Mark III was completed for Ocean S.S. Co and it was originally intended to call her Cadmus. She transferred to N.S.M. Oceaan in August of 1960 and retained her name, she reverted back to Blue Funnel in the November of 1973. In the April of 1976 she was sold to S.H. Alatas & Co agents for Blue Funnel in Jeddah, renamed Johara , and sold again in the November of 1977 to Hesperus Navigation Corporation of Monrovia becoming Matina flying the Panamanian flag. She eventually arrived at Gadani Beach for scrapping on the 23rd of April 1978.

LAOMEDON


©Iain Lovie

Built: 1953 by Vickers Armstrong Ltd, Newcastle.
Tonnage: 7, 684g, 4, 580n.
Engine: Single Screw, 2S. DA, 8 Cylinder by Harland & Wolff of Belfast, 15.5 Knots.
Passengers: 12 - 18.


Laomedon in Singapore.
With Thanks to Julian Nichols

King of Troy. When Laomedon failed to pay Poseidon, Apollo, and King Aeacus for building the walls of Troy, Poseidon sent a sea monster to ravage the land. Total catastrophe could be averted only by the sacrifice of Laomedon's daughter, Hesione. Laomedon offered Hercules a pair of immortal horses if he would rescue his daughter. Hercules slew the sea monster and saved Hesione but Laomedon refused to give him the horses. In revenge, Hercules sacked Troy and killed Laomedon and all his sons except Priam, who became the new king of Troy.

An 'A' Class Mark 3, note the specially constructed mast forward of the funnel to carry radar. Completed for China Mutual and continued as such until being sold to Regent Navigation Corp of Panama, with Maldivis Shipping as managers she was renamed Aspasia. She sailed from Kuwait on the 20th of April 1978 for Pakistan and was broken at Gandani Beach in the November.

EUMAEUS


©Iain Lovie

Built: 1953 by Caladon S.B. & E. Co, Dundee.
Tonnage: 7, 681g, 4, 566n.
Engine: Single Screw, 7 Cylinder 2S. SA by Harland 1 Wolff, 15.5 Knots.
Passengers: 12-18


Ransome- Wallis

Eumaeus 1 was Odysseus' loyal servant and swineherd, a man of sound principles who never forgot the immortals. He received Odysseus in his hut when, after his wanderings, Odysseus returned to Ithaca, and later he helped his master to get rid of the suitors of Penelope who were pestering the palace.

Photographed before radar was moved Eumaeus was eventually fitted with the mast forward of the funnel. She was delivered in the December of 1953 to Ocean S.S. the first of the Mark A4's. For identification purposes this Class had a Poop Hatch as opposed to Locker and consequently the Derrick Posts were located further forward. She transferred to N.S.M. 'Oceaan', Amsterdam in 1962 and remained as such until arriving at Kaohsiung on the 31st of January 1978 for breaking.

NELEUS


With Thanks to Captain John Bax.

Built: 1953 by Caledon S.B.& E. Co, Dundee.
Tonnage: 7, 802g, 4, 368n, 9, 500 dwt.
Engine: Single Screw, 3 x Double Reduction Geared Turbines by Vickers, Manchester.

The son of Poseidon and the nymph Tyro and twin brother of Pelias. They were exposed by Tyro when they were born, but were reared by a horse-herd. They later returned to their mother and were adopted by her husband Cretheus, King of Iolcus. He was expelled from Iolcus by Pelias and went to Pylus with Melampus and Bias where he became king. He and his sons were killed by Heracles in revenge for helping Elis during a battle. Only his son Nestor survived.

Completed in February for China Mutual she was a Nestor Class and made her maiden voyage on the 21st of March. She was briefly transferred to Glen Line with no name change in 1971 and was then sold the following year to the Aegis Group becoming Aegis Dignity. She was transferred to the Alicarnassos Shipping Company of Cyprus, same group becoming Aegis Trust in 1973 and was finally sold for breaking at Shanghai in 1974.

ADRASTUS


Picture kindly supplied by Captain John Kleijn from Antwerp.

Built: 1953 by Vickers Armstrong Ltd, Newcastle.
Tonnage: 7, 859g, 4, 573n.
Engine: Single Screw, 7 Cylinder 2S.S.A. by Harland & Wolff, Belfast.
Passengers: 12/18.
Launched Mid-1953, Completed December 1953.


Adrastus as seen from the deck of Pyrrhus.Indian Ocean May 1960.
With Thanks to Captain John Bax.


Adrastus was King of the Argos. He organised the ill-fated Seven against Thebes and was the only survivor.

Adrastus was the first built of the fourth group in the 'A' Class twenty-one ships Blue Funnel programme. She differed from groups 1, 2 and 3 with the poop being made longer to accommodate a pair of deep tanks. For identification purposes the after Sampson Posts were moved forward to accommodate another pair of derricks to work number seven hatch and bulwarks replaced the rails round the poop. She was completed for Ocean S.S.Co and transferred to N.S.M. 'Oceaan' in January of 1961 retaining her name. She transferred back to the British registry in 1974 initially to Elder Dempster but reverted to China Mutual a few months later. She was sold to Rhodeswell Shipping Co., S.A. of Limassol, Cyprus in February of 1978 and renamed Anassa. In September of 1981 she was sold for scrap and work was carried out at Gadani Beach, Karachi.

ELPENOR


©Iain Lovie

Built: 1954 by Harland & Wolff, Belfast.
Tonnage: 7, 757g, 4, 509n.
Engine: Single Screw, 2S. SA, 7 Cylinder by Builder, 15.5 Knots.
Passengers: 12 - 18

A hero and companion of Odysseus on their return from Troy. He dies in an accident on Kirke's island. Odysseus, in his visit to the entry to the Underworld, meets Elpenor's shade (spirit).

Completed for China Mutual she ended her career as in most cases with the group at Elder Dempster. Sold to Cremore Bay Shipping Co of Liberia in June of 1978 and renamed United Concord she was delivered to Flushing and hoisted the Panamanian flag. Broken at Taiwan in the following year.

LYCAON


Picture kindly supplied by Captain John Kleijn from Antwerp.

Built: 1954 by Vickers Armstrong Ltd, Newcastle.
Tonnage: 7, 859g, 4, 567n.
Engine: Single Screw, 7 Cylinder 2S.S.A. by John Kincaid, Greenock.
Passengers: 12/18.
Launched March 1954, Completed June 1954.
Lycaon was the King of Arcadia who angered Zeus into devastating the world and turning him into a wolf.

She was completed for China Mutual S.N. Co and transferred to N.S.M. 'Oceaan' retaining her name. She transferred back to the Red Ensign in the January of 1975 under the ownership of Elder Dempster. In the December of 1976 she was renamed Glaucus releasing her former name for use on a Russian built container ship for N.S.M.O. Three months later she was sold to Marlborough Maritime Inc of Monrovia, flew the Singapore flag and was renamed United Vanguard. On the 12th of May whilst en route Sharjah - Bassein she suffered engine failure and a ruptured S.W. cooling pipe, the ship was abandoned with 31 of the crew being saved, she sank two days later with the loss of one crew member.

1955-1957


DEMODOCUS


©Iain Lovie

Built: 1955 by Vickers Armstrong, Walker Naval Yard, Newcastle.
Tonnage: 7, 968g, 4, 558n.
Engine: Single Screw, 2S. SA, 6 Cylinder by Harland & Wolff, Belfast, 8, 000 BHP, 15 Knots.
Passengers: 12 - 18

The blind bard

Delivered in August to Ocean S.S. Demodocus was the first of the 'A' Class Mark 5's. She transferred to Glen Line in June of 1970 becoming Glenroy, reverted to Blue Funnel in April 1972 becoming Demodocus again. Sold to Nan Yang Shipping Co of Macao, renamed Hungsai and managed by Dawn Maritime Corp Panama for the Peoples Republic of China; Became Hong Qi 137 for the Bureau of Maritime Transport Administration, Canton in 1979 and was reputedly scrapped in 1982.

THESEUS


©Iain Lovie

Built: 1955 by Caledon SB & E Co, Dundee.
Tonnage: 7, 804g, 4, 242n.
Engine: Single Screw, 3 x Double Reduction Geared Turbines by Metropolitan Vickers, Manchester.

Hero of Athens; son of either King Aegeus or Poseidon. Before Aegeus left Troezen he placed his sword and sandals beneath a huge rock and told his wife Aethra that when their son, Theseus, could lift the rock he was to bring the gifts to his kingdom in Athens. At the age of 16 Theseus lifted the rock and began his journey, during which he freed the countryside of various monsters and villains (e.g., Procrustes). When Theseus arrived at Athens, Medea, then wife of Aegeus, tried to kill him. Aegeus, however, recognized the sword and sandals, saved Theseus, and exiled Medea. Theseus subsequently had numerous adventures. His most famous exploit was against the Minotaur of King Minos of Crete. Theseus insisted on being one of the seven youths and seven maidens of Athens to be sacrificed to the monster as an annual tribute. He promised his father that if he were successful in killing the Minotaur he would on his return voyage replace his ship's black sails with white ones. Ariadne, daughter of King Minos, fell in love with Theseus and gave him a magic ball of thread to be dropped at the entrance of the labyrinth; it led Theseus to the Minotaur, which he killed, and he then followed the unwound thread back to the entrance. He left Crete with Ariadne but abandoned her at Naxos. When Theseus reached home he forgot to raise white sails. Aegeus saw black sails, and, thinking his son dead, the grief-stricken father threw himself into the sea, thereafter called the Aegean. As king of Athens, Theseus instituted several reforms, most notably the federalization of the scattered Attic communities. He journeyed to the land of the Amazons, where he abducted Antiope, who bore him Hippolytus. A vengeful Amazon army invaded Athens, but Theseus defeated it. Some say Antiope died fighting beside him in the battle; others claim that Theseus killed her when she objected to his marriage to Phaedra. For helping PirithoŁs to carry off Persephone, Theseus was imprisoned in Hades until Hercules rescued him. Upon his return to Athens, he foun his once great kingdom a turmoil of corruption and rebellion. He regretfully sailed away and came to rest at Skyros, where he was treacherously murdered by King Lycomedes. Although Theseus is generally thought of as legendary, the Athenians believed he had been one of their early kings.

Theseus was built for Ocean S.S. Co the last of the Nestor Class of ships completed. Sold on the 21st of June to the Aegis Group and renamed Aegis Myth, all three ships in this class were sold to Cypriot interests in the same year. Renamed Aegis Care in 1972 and owned by Syracusae Maritime Corp, same group. Sailed from Singapore on the 4th of November for breaking at Shanghai.

DOLIUS


©Iain Lovie

Built: 1956 by Harland & Wolff, Belfast.
Tonnage: 7, 960g, 4, 262n.
Engine: Single Screw, 2S. S.A., 6 Cylinder, 8, 000 BHP by Builder, 15 Knots.
Passengers: 12

Son of Silenus and Nymph 1 Meliad.

Handed over in the January to Ocean S.S. CO she remained thus until transferring to Glen Line in the November of 1970 becoming Glen Fruin. Eighteen months later she reverted back to Dolius for Ocean S.S. and made one round trip before being sold to Nan Yang Shipping Co of Macao becoming Hungmien under the Somali flag. In 1977 she was sold to the Bureau of Maritime Transportation of China becoming Hong Qi 119, renamed Zhan Dou 51 for the same owners in 1985 and as of that date was still in service.


As Glenfruin
© unknown

DIOMED


Diomed Elderslie Drydock Liverpool.
With Thanks to Captain John Bax.

Built: 1956 by Caledon S.B. & E. Co, Dundee.
Tonnage: 7, 980g, 4, 267n.
Engine: Single Screw, 2S. S.A. 6 Cylinder by Kincaid, 8, 000 BHP, 15 Knots.
Passengers: 12.

1 Son of Tydeus, he was one of the principal Greek warriors in the Trojan War. Previously he had avenged his father's death in the expedition of the Epigoni against Thebes. 2 A Thracian king, son of Ares and Cyrene. He was killed during the eighth labor of Hercules while trying to protect his man-eating horses. Both also spelled Diomedes, Diomede.

Diomed replaced Calchas as the Fleet's Midshipmen training ship and was delivered for China Mutual the 34th vessel completed by the Caledon Yard. She transferred to Glen Line in June of 1970 becoming Glenbeg and in October of the same year suffered a fire which took five hours to extinguish. She reverted to Diomed in May of 1972 when she transferred back to China Mutual and in February the following year was sold to Nan Yang Shipping Co of Macao becoming Kaising. She was broken at Kaohsiung, Taiwan in 1983.

MENELAUS



Built 1957 at Caledon S.B. & E. Co. Dundee.
Engines 2S SA 6 cylinder 8, 500BHP 16.5 knots by Harland and Wolff, Belfast. Built for Ocean S.S. Co.

King of Sparta, husband of Helen, and brother of Agamemnon. When Paris abducted Helen to Troy, Menelaus asked the Greek kings to join him in the Trojan War. At its end he returned to Sparta with Helen.

1972 She was transferred to Elder Dempster, renamed Mano but was operated by the British and Burmese S.N. Co. She transferred back to Elder Dempster Lines renamed Oti 1978. Sold out and operated by Leon Rivera Lines as Lester. In 1979 she arrived in South Korea for scrapping.



DYMAS


As Antenor
©I.L.

Built: 1957 by Vickers Armstrong, Walker Naval Yard, Newcastle.
Tonnage: 7, 965g, 4, 276n.
Engine : Single Screw, 2S. S.A. Six Cylinder by Kincaid, 8, 000 BHP, 15 Knots.
Passengers: 12
Launched 4th October 1956, Completed July 1957.


With Thanks to Captain John Bax

King of Phrygia and father of Hecabe.

Launched for the Ocean S.S. Co as Antenor the first of a class of three Mark A6 ships. She transferred to Glen Line in November of 1970, renamed Glenlochy, transferred back to Blue Funnel becoming Dymas in June of 1972. In April of 1973 she was sold to Nan Yang Shipping Co of Macao and renamed Kaiyun, sold again in 1976 to Highseas Nav. Corp S.A. of China, registered in Panama, same name. Finally broken at Huangpu, China in 1983.

Go to     1958-1988